In this article we are going to explore proven and tested methods and strategies regarding how to deal with constipation on the Keto Diet.
What are the symptoms and how to deal with constipation on the keto diet
First and foremost everyone is different, therefore won’t serve you well to compare your situation with anyone else. One should pay close attention to his or her body. Constipation is happening to you when:
- You struggle to go to the bathroom and feel like you’re straining and it hurts to make a bowel movement.
- After you make a bowel movement, you feel as if you’re not finished but the rest of “the stuff” just won’t come out.
- You finally have a bowel movement, your stool is hard.
- You only have a bowel movement once or twice a week.
Sometimes your case of constipation can be severe or acute. This is when you only go to the bathroom less than once a week. Other times you may have a complete blockage and that may require medical treatment.
For the most part people following the Keto diet may experience hard stools. They may find themselves going to the bathroom less frequently and straining. This is what happened to me once I went hard core on Keto.
A Few Home Remedies for Keto Constipation
- Prune Juice or Dried Prunes – Yes. This will kick you out of ketosis, but so what. When you’re experiencing constipation it can make you miserable. You will be relieved of your constipation with prune juice and you can get yourself quickly back into ketosis by taking some exogenous ketones like Keto OS.
- Coffee – A good strong cup of joe could send you to the bathroom immediately. If you don’t drink bulletproof coffee this might be a good time to start, especially if you’re experience constipation related to the ketogenic diet.
- Chocolate Poop Candy – Make some of the keto-friendly poop candy, which consists of melted unsweetened chocolate and coconut oil poured into a candy mold and cooled. This can send you going pretty good. I am not sure whether it’s the coconut oil or the chocolate that makes you go. I tend to go anytime I have chocolate.
- Don’t eat too much cheese – Cheese is everywhere on Keto and it seems hard to avoid it, but try to eat more vegetables and salads with your proteins instead of cheese. Truth be told, the cheese is most likely the main reason why you’re constipated.
- Salt Water Flush – The salt water flush is widely known from the master cleanse. But it could really work well for keto especially if you don’t want to knock yourself out of ketosis. The salt water flush happens when you take 2 level teaspoons of non-iodized sea salt to a full quart of lukewarm water. This will send you to the bathroom fast. You should take this first thing in the morning on an empty stomach and stay close to the bathroom. Warning: It’s disgusting.
Is Greek Yogurt Good for Keto Constipation?
Greek yogurt is keto-friendly and good for keto constipation relief. A low sugar Greek yogurt is low in carbs and has probiotics that can help with colon health. When you take supplements to help you go to the bathroom it can rob the colon of the good bacteria that it needs to fend off disease like cancer. Adding yogurt to your keto diet has a way making you feel full, plus it lines the colon with good bacteria. Adding it to your regime can definitely help get you going, especially when you add flaxseeds and other fiber mixes to your yogurt. But don’t over do it, because you can quickly exceed your 20 carbs a day when you add yogurt to your keto diet plan. I use it as a treat.
Unfortunately one of the side effects of eating so much cheese on the keto diet is constipation. The one major thing that most people get caught up with and stuck on is not having enough food variety and limiting their food choices. This typically happens with the newbie. But food variety is the key. Plus you have to listen to your body. There is more than one way to do the ketogenic diet. Additionally, there are more they one type of ketogenic diet. For some people it might be better to do the Cyclical Ketogenic Diet where you cycle between lower carb days of 20 grams and less and higher carb days of 50 grams or more. You have to figure out what is best for you.
Please leave a comment below if you have found this article to be beneficial to you.
Also check out other articles on Keto Constipation by clicking here.
Are you struggling with Keto? Consider taking the 7 Day Keto Challenge. It’s perfect for getting re-started or re-booted on the protocol.